The NWO Institutes Organisation (NWO-I), formerly the Foundation for Fundamental Research on Matter (FOM) – see www.fom.nl/transition for more information - is fully named the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes.
NWO-I is an independent foundation, that belongs to the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). The office of NWO-I is located on the Van Vollenhovenlaan in Utrecht.
The NWO Institutes Organisation supports the NWO Institutes. At this moment it concerns only the former FOM Institutes:
- AMOLF Laboratorium voor moleculair en materiaalonderzoek
- ARCNL Advanced Research Center for Nanolithography
- DIFFER Dutch Institute for Fundamental Energy Research
- Nikhef Institute for Subatomic Physics Nikhef
The other NWO Institutes are intended join the NWO Institutes Organisation as from 1 January 2018:
- ASTRON Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy
- CWI national research institute for mathematics and computer science
- NIOZ Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
- NSCR The Netherlands Institute for the Study of Crime and Law Enforcement
- SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research
200 workgroups are part of the NWO Institutes Organisation, where physics research takes place at Dutch universities and institutes (see below). This research will take place until the former FOM-projects have been seen to an end.
For further information, please visit the website www.nwo-i.nl.